Friday, June 27, 2008

Ireland

We took a trip to Ireland, to visit the birthplace of the McDermott Family.



We flew into Dublin, then drove across Ireland to Roscommon and Sligo Counties. Here is Joseph in Carrick-on-Shannon, a bright little town on the Shannon River.






Mandy and Grandpa visited Boyle Abbey. This abbey was built on land donated by the MacDermot Family in the 1100's.



MacDermot Castle sits on an island in Lough Key. The MacDermot Clan ruled the Kingdom of Moylurg from this location, from the 12th Century through the early 1600s.



The kids enjoyed playing in Lough Key Forest Park.



Here is a view of MacDermot Castle from the other side of the Lough.



Here is Emily outside of the bed and breakfast where we stayed. The gates behind lead to Lough Key Forest Park. Prior to the 1950s, they were the gates to Rockingham Demesne.




King House in Boyle, built about 1730 and recently restored. The King family was given 30,000 acres of land around Boyle in the 1600's that was seized from the MacDermot Clan.



Richard and Joseph in Boyle, near a bridge over the Boyle River.



Joseph and his grandpa in Sligo.







The guys visited Sligo Abbey, while the ladies took a nap.



We headed to Dublin, where we visited the cathedral.



The crypt under the cathedral was cool and dark.



It was raining as we left the cathedral, but with rain comes rainbows.

2 comments:

AMY MICHELLE said...

I just can't get enough of these beautiful pictures. Are you sure you didn't fall into a fairy tale book?

Unknown said...

Hi McDermott's! In my ongoing research, I found your collection of photos of your family visit to Ireland on BlogSpot, and I noted the caption below the image of MacDermott Castle, Lough Key. I am a Sheridan, residing in the U.S. and have deeply rooted ties to Ireland. My Great Grandmother was Marianne MacDermott who is of direct lineage, a descendant of the original MacDermott's of Roscommon/Boyle and MacDermott Castle on Castle Island, Lough Key. (Great Grandfather PJ Sheridan, an original Land Leaguer, married Marianne MacDermott) I am researching and compiling as much as I can on both families, the MacDermott's and the Sheridan's and working on a book. I have many original documents dating back as far as 1877. I am searching for more information about the families... are you indeed related to the same MacDermott's? If so, or if you think there is a possibility, please contact me at tsheridan1951@me.com. I would love to find decedents of the family - we are so far away here in Colorado and I want to find family before making a trip to UK & Ireland in 2011. Please send me an email with any info you may have that might point to a possible family tie through the apparent MacDermott Castle connection. Thank you, Tim Sheridan

Joseph and Jenny McDermott Family