Sunday, December 2, 2007

Christmas musings

I sit down to write my annual Christmas letter and I look at what has happened this year. It seems a lot more than what happened in everyday life. Everyday life gets bogged down with chores like housecleaning, getting kids to school, going to work, eating breakfast in the morning. And sometimes it seems that is all that there is. But when I look at my family with the new light of Christmas shining on them, things magically change. I love Christmas. It’s always been my favorite time of year. I love the decorations on the light-poles and the Christmas tree. I love the cinnamon smell of candles. I love to reflect on how the birth of one baby changed the entire universe. It makes Christmas time special. All of a sudden, the warm laundry coming out of the dryer is a sign of God’s love for me, not just a task I’m required to complete. Grocery shopping turns into a time to reflect on my family’s needs and how I can serve them so they feel love surrounding them, and protecting them from the harsh world. Suddenly there is a lot more warmth and happiness. Suddenly there is a lot more peace.

P E A C E –I received my stocking-holders that I ordered in the mail the other day in these letters. Emily asked me why do we have the word Peace on our mantle at Christmas time. Joseph said it better than I could. He said “that is what Jesus brought to the Earth. “

In the turmoil of everyday life, we can look to the Savior and live in peace. How fitting it is that the world lights more candles at this time of year, and puts up more lights. Because Jesus is the light of the world and we celebrate his light coming into the world. To quote my favorite Christmas movie, “It’s what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.”

No comments:

Joseph and Jenny McDermott Family